Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Is your church rent-a-pulpit for favored political candidates?


Look closely at Richard Lee's pulpit, the one he preaches from at First Redeemer Church in the Atlanta area, an SBC mid-megachurch.

What's that? Rick Santorum's political placard prominently positioned on the pulpit?

I believe it is.

I like Rick Santorum, doubt he will get my vote in the Georgia primary, but it shocks me that a prominent pastor would take his pulpit and put political signage on it. It's not a church/state issue it's the idea that the place where God's word is proclaimed is temporarily rented out for political purposes.

In a previous church of mine there was a deacon who, when his turn rolled around to pray in worship would unfailingly include a prayer for his pastor as "he stands behind the sacred desk." I though the phraseology was quaint, clearly antiquated, but I appreciated the concept.

No politician would ever plop a political sign on any pulpit for which I have responsibility.

Can't quite say that I understand the thinking on this by my north Georgia colleague.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Years ago I saw a video of Michael Jordan autographing a basketball for an older man who was looking at him as adoringly as any starstruck six year old boy at the time. Some of our elbow rubbing pastors remind me of that guy. Starstruck, but old enough and experienced enough to know better. It's a pitiful sight.

J L Carver

Frank Gantz said...

I think the "sacred desk" idea is being lost more and more. Not only with this kind of signage, but also with the removal or replacement of pulpits in general.

I know that I don't really have a biblical argument, but evangelicals formerly had an architecture that centered on the word. I miss that.

foxofbama said...

Read the Anointed and Dan Williams God's Own Party. Dr. Thornton, you did an honest investigation of the Lottie Moon book last year. The Anointed calls for the Thornton Treatment and share your findings with Jerry Vines, David Miller and Richard Lee.
Giberson and Stephens; and the Mark Noll Review of GOPArty in New Republic